General
Follow

David

Read this before posting

David on 2 Feb 2024
Latest activity Reply by David Gabriel on 15 Jul 2024 at 15:17

Hello and a warm welcome to all! We're thrilled to have you visit our community. MATLAB Central is a place for learning, sharing, and connecting with others who share your passion for MATLAB and Simulink. To ensure you have the best experience, here are some tips to get you started:
  1. Read the Community Guidelines: Understanding our community standards is crucial. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with them. Keep in mind that posts not adhering to these guidelines may be flagged by moderators or other community members.
  2. Ask Technical Questions at MATLAB Answers: If you have questions related to MathWorks products, head over to MATLAB Answers (new question form - Ask the community). It's the go-to spot for technical inquiries, with responses often provided within an hour, depending on the complexity of the question and volunteer availability. To increase your chances of a speedy reply, check out our tips on how to craft a good question (link to post on asking good questions).
  3. Choosing the Right Channel: We offer a variety of discussion channels tailored to different contexts. Select the one that best fits your post. If you're unsure, the General channel is always a safe bet. If you feel there's a need for a new channel, we encourage you to suggest it in the Ideas channel.
  4. Reporting Issues: If you encounter posts that violate our guidelines, please use the 🚩Flag/Report feature (found in the 3-dot menu) to bring them to our attention.
  5. Quality Control: We strive to maintain a high standard of discussion. Accounts that post spam or too much nonsense may be subject to moderation, which can include temporary suspensions or permanent bans.
  6. Share Your Ideas: Your feedback is invaluable. If you have suggestions on how we can improve the community or MathWorks products, the Ideas channel is the perfect place to voice your thoughts.
Enjoy yourself and have fun! We're committed to fostering a supportive and educational environment. Dive into discussions, share your expertise, and grow your knowledge. We're excited to see what you'll contribute to the community!
David Gabriel
David Gabriel on 14 Jul 2024 at 18:27
This reply was flagged by Steven Lord
Greetings,
In looking of a MATAB program to plot both electric and potential fields of a dipole I came across a Book Chapter under the Academia profile of Darvin Messi on Numerical Methods. See the following link:
I typed in the code and worked through a majority of bugs, a couple due to typos in the text. One had to do with adding a symbol to the plot function. I got the electric fields portion to work perfectly. However, the electric potential plots still do not work. I have tried to the best of my ability to error trap. I was able to get a couple of points to plot but nothing more. I really like this approach which does not make use of MATLAB's mesh or gradient functions because of the application I have in working with students. One the other hand, I do not know why this portion is not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would not trouble the MATLAB community without exhausting the combination/permutations of what could be wrong.
I would be great to then keep the corrected version on this community as through my searches, a program like this has been requested by students very frequently.
Best wishes,
David.
%. Program below
plotit ( [-1 1], [-1.5 0; 1.5 0], 1, 1, 0.01, 0.01, 20, 20, 5)
function plotit(charges, location, ckEField, ckEq, DLE, DLV, NLE, NLV, PTS)
figure;
hold on
% Program for plotting the electric field lines
% and equipotential lines due to coplanar point charges
% the plot is to be within the range -5<x,y<5
%
% This is the correct usage:
% function plotit(charges, location,ckEField,ckEq,DLE,DLV,NLE,NLV,PTS)
%
% where,
% charges = a vector containing the charges
% location = a matrix where each row is a charge location
% ckEField = Flag set to 1 plots the Efield lines
% ckEq = Flag set to 1 plots the Equipotential lines
% DLE or DLV = the increment along E & V lines
% NLE = No. of E-Field lines per charge
% NLV = No. of Equipotential lines per charge
% PTS => Plots every PTS point (i.e. if PTS = 5 then plot every 5th point)
% note that constant Q/4*Pie*ErR is set equal to 1.0
% Determine the E-Field Lines
% For convenience, the starting points( XS,YS) are radially distributed about charge locations
Q=charges;
XQ = location(:,1);
YQ = location(:,2);
JJ=1;
NQ = length(charges);
if (ckEField)
for K=1:NQ
for I =1:NLE
THETA = 2*pi*(I-1)/(NLE);
XS=XQ(K)+0.1*cos(THETA);
YS=YQ(K)+0.1*sin(THETA);
XE=XS;
YE=YS;
JJ=JJ+1;
if (~mod(JJ,PTS))
plot(XE, YE, 'k.')
end
while (1)
% Find increment and new point (X,Y)
EX=0;
EY=0;
for J=1:NQ;
R =sqrt((XE-XQ(J))^2 + (YE - YQ(J))^2 );
EX = EX +Q(J)*(XE-XQ(J))/(R^3);
EY = EY +Q(J)*(YE-YQ(J))/(R^3);
end
E = sqrt(EX^2 + EY^2);
% CHECK FOR A SINGULAR POINT
if (E <=0.00005)
break;
end
DX = DLE*EX/E;
DY = DLE*EY/E;
% FOR NEGATIVE CHARGE, NEGATE DX & DY SO THAT INCREMENT IS AWAY FROM THE CHARGE
if (Q(K) < 0)
DX = -DX;
DY = -DY;
end
XE = XE + DX;
YE = YE + DY;
% CHECK WHETHER NEW POINT IS WITHIN THE GIVEN RANGE OR TOO
% CLOSE TO ANY OF THE POINT CHARGES - TO AVOID SINGULAR POINT
if ((abs(XE) >= 5) | (abs(YE) >= 5))
break;
end
if (sum(abs(XE-XQ) < 0.05 & abs(YE-YQ) < 0.05) > 0)
break;
end
JJ=JJ+1;
if (~mod(JJ,PTS))
plot(XE,YE,'k.')
end
end % while loop
end % I =1:NLE
end % K = 1:NQ
end % if
% NEXT, DETERMINE THE EQUIPOTENTIAL LINES FOR CONVENIENCE, THE STARTING POINTS (XS,YS) ARE
% CHOSEN LIKE THOSE FOR THE E-FIELD LINES
if(ckEq)
JJ=1;
DELTA = 0.2;
ANGLE = 45*pi/180;
for K =1:NQ
FACTOR = 0.5
for KK = 1:NLV
XS = XQ(K) + FACTOR*cos(ANGLE);
YS = YQ(K) + FACTOR*sin(ANGLE);
if ( abs(XS) >= 5 | abs(YS) >=5 )
break;
end
DIR = 1;
XV = XS;
YV = YS;
JJ=JJ+1;
if (~mod(JJ,PTS))
plot(XV,YV, 'rs')
end
% FIND INCREMENT AND NEW POINT (XV,YV)
N=1;
while(1)
EX = 0;
EY = 0;
for J = 1:NQ
R = sqrt((XV-XQ(J))^2 + (YV-YQ(J))^2);
EX = EX + Q(J)*(XV-XQ(J))/(R^3);
EY = EY + Q(J)*(YV-YQ(J))/(R^3);
end
E=sqrt(EX^2 + EY^2);
if (E <= 0.00005)
FACTOR = 2*FACTOR;
break;
end;
DX = -(DLV*EX)/E;
DY = (DLV*EY)/E;
XV = XV + DIR*DX;
YV = YV + DIR*DY;
% CHECK IF THE EQUIPOTENTIAL LINE LOOPS BACK TO (X,YS)
R0 = sqrt((XV - XS)^2 + (YV - YS)^2);
if (R0 < DELTA & N < 50)
FACTOR = 2*FACTOR;
break;
end
% CHECK WHETHER NEW POINT IS WITHIN THE GIVEN RANGE IF FOUND OUT OF RANGE, GO BACK TO THE STARTING POINT
% (S,YS) BUT INCREMENT IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION
if (abs(XV) > 5 | abs(YV) > 5)
DIR = DIR - 2;
XV = XS;
YV = YS;
end
if (abs(DIR) > 1)
FACTOR = 2*FACTOR;
break;
end
if ( sum( abs(XV-XQ) < 0.005 & abs(YV-YQ) < 0.005) > 0 )
break;
end
end
JJ=JJ+1;
if (~mod(JJ,PTS))
N=N+1;
plot(XV,YV,'rs')
end
end % WHILE loop
end % KK
end % K
end % if
Steven Lord
Steven Lord on 15 Jul 2024 at 14:56
This was asked on Answers; marking as dupe of https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/2137408-looking-for-bug-in-a-graphics-program-for-plotting-dipole-fields?s_tid=srchtitle
David Gabriel
David Gabriel on 15 Jul 2024 at 15:17
Thank you. I made a mistake in learning how to address the MATLAB community.
Best Wishes,
dg

See Also

Tags