General
Follow

Fangjun Jiang

How to enforce guidelines regarding the use of Generative AI on MATLAB Answers forum?

Fangjun Jiang on 15 Mar 2024
Latest activity Reply by Fangjun Jiang on 19 Mar 2024

First, I felt that the three answers provided by a user in this thread might have been generated by AI. How do you think?
Second, I found that "Responsible usage of generative AI tools, such as ChatGPT, is allowed in MATLAB Answers."
If the answers are indeed AI generated, then the user didn't do "clearly indicating when AI generated content is incorporated".
That leads to my question that how do we enforce the guideline.
I am not against using AI for answers but in this case, I felt the answering text is mentioning all the relevant words but missing the point. For novice users who are seeking answers, this would be misleading and waste of time.
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 18 Mar 2024
The same user provided two more similar answers that are lengthy word salad but not hitting a point. I commented to remind the "disclosure" guideline. I hope the user would follow it the next time. Otherwise, I hate to see other users wasting time reading those.
Stephen23
Stephen23 on 19 Mar 2024 (Edited on 19 Mar 2024)
The same user is also making lengthy comments on various Discussions threads, replete with many incorrect statements.
I was wondering if this will be come more common with AI: posters who want to build up a large rating/following/whatever, but lack the knowledge and motivation to actually learn or test anything themselves. It will be sad end to communities like this... but I don't think they really care much (otherwise they would have invested a few seconds testing before posting).
Lets see how this user responds to your comment.
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 19 Mar 2024
No response yet. Indeed I found most of his answers are like that. I hople he got the message.
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 15 Mar 2024
It's not on the quality/content of the answer. It's about how to tell and what to do if the human user didn't disclose that AI was used to generate the answer.
Regarding the quality/content though, I think a human user would only answer the question when the user thinks/believers that the user has the relevant knowledge and can be helpful, while AI would try to answer almost any question.
Because it's so easy to generate so many and so lengthy answers, it would be a waste of time for other users when the answers were not disclosed about AI and the content is off the mark. Should we mark the answer as "spam" and sanction the poster?
Stephen23
Stephen23 on 15 Mar 2024
I don't see that this is significantly different to answers written by us humans:
  • if the answer is good you can vote for it.
  • if the answer just need a few tweaks to improve it then write a comment.
  • if the answer is fundamentally incorrect then comment on this and advise the author that a) it needs complete revision and b) if this revision is not complete within a reasonable time (e.g one week) then it may be deleted.

See Also