Tips & Tricks
Follow

Jason

Best way(s) to master MATLAB?

Jason on 23 May 2011
Latest activity Reply by Jason on 16 Dec 2020

Now, I am still a novice when it comes to programming. I believe MATLAB is definitely a great programming tool, one that I can play with, particularly, when I have free time.
I would love to hear from all answerers, what are the ways that can make one proficient in this field?
Jason
Jason on 16 Dec 2020
9 years on and my question continues to get responses.. Though I've not used Matlab since leaving University, I can attest to the fact that getting your hands dirty (read: hands-on) is almost certain to get you good at any programming language (I'm self-taught in Python that way). Also, plenty of online references/materials that one can easily access these days. Good luck to those who are starting to use MATLAB, you can do it!
Steven Lord
Steven Lord on 15 Dec 2020
We have a Signal Processing Onramp tutorial on the tutorials page. I believe it was added fairly recently.
There are also MATLAB and Simulink based books on the subject of digital signal processing. At least a couple of the nearly 300 books in that category seem to be textbooks and/or targeted at introducing MATLAB and the topic to newer users.
Some of the examples for DSP System Toolbox linked from the Examples "button" on the Support section of this website (look for the light bulb) may be useful if you have specific tasks in mind.
rajaram rao
rajaram rao on 15 Dec 2020
12. Write a MATLAB program to find the Fibonacci series using recursive functions?
Walter Roberson
Walter Roberson on 15 Dec 2020
Well that is a good way to become more familiar with the concept of recursion, but would you really say that it is one of the best ways to master MATLAB?
John Smith
John Smith on 23 Sep 2020
Is there ways where I can learn dsp for matlab, or communications. Like step by step explanantions.
Bao Le
Bao Le on 5 Dec 2019
study the material carefully and ask somone who's good at matlab in face to face so you can learn some exprience from them
Alejandro Ayala
Alejandro Ayala on 5 Dec 2019
Most engineering professors should be able to help in assisting you master matlab, that is how I got significantly better using the program. Just associate yourself with people who already have good skills with the program and you should be able to master it with practice!!
Stephen23
Stephen23 on 14 Jan 2016
Marc
Marc on 31 Jul 2013
Is it improper to answer a question with a question??
One can Master Matlab??
All of these links are very nice. I thought with the change of the help documentation in 2012b, bumping this to the front my be useful to some newcomers.
Cedric
Cedric on 31 Jul 2013
Well, the biggest regexp is not always a marker of mastery -> huh?
But it allows performing computations based on the wiki about sea urchins, which is not uninteresting .. I guess. ;-)
Sean de Wolski
Sean de Wolski on 31 Jul 2013
For varying levels of "master". I guess my feeling on it is that you have MATLAB "mastered" when you can use it quickly and effectively achieve your goals.
Even if you can't make the biggest and baddest regular expression on the first try :)
K E
K E on 19 Apr 2012
Get to know a Matlab expert if there is one around who can help you when you are stuck. In my school the older students helped the new students.
Rick Rosson
Rick Rosson on 15 Mar 2012
Walter Roberson
Walter Roberson on 30 Sep 2011
This isn't actually structured as a tutorial, but I tagged it as such because it contains information that should (ideally) be placed in to a tutorial.
Jason
Jason on 25 May 2011
Thank you everyone! All great and helpful answers, but I have to pick and accept one, and so I am choosing the one with the most votes.
Matt Tearle
Matt Tearle on 23 May 2011
  1. What everyone else said. (Especially training & tutorials. Disclaimer: I'm not entirely impartial!)
  2. Read blogs like Loren on the Art of MATLAB.
  3. Play around on something like Project Euler.
Jason
Jason on 25 May 2011
Thanks, Matt!
Matt Fig
Matt Fig on 23 May 2011

In addition to the recommendation of others:

I highly recommend the book, " Mastering MATLAB " by Duane Hanselman. This book takes the reader through the basics and covers advanced topics with many, many examples.

Jason
Jason on 25 May 2011
Thanks, another Matt!
Bjorn Gustavsson
Bjorn Gustavsson on 23 May 2011
In addition to the above: Browse/play through "all" demos.
Jason
Jason on 25 May 2011
Thank you Bjorn!
Sean de Wolski
Sean de Wolski on 23 May 2011
ending = 'Answers/CSSM posts';
  • ['Reading ' ending]
  • ['trying/understanding others'' replies on ' ending]
  • ['Replying to others'' posts on ' ending]
  • Browsing the FEX
I'm pretty much self taught in MATLAB from the above.
Jason
Jason on 23 May 2011
Thanks for the input, Sean!
Arnaud Miege
Arnaud Miege on 23 May 2011
If you prefer to learn in a more structured/classroom environment, I would recommend the training courses from MathWorks:
Obviously, pick the ones that apply to what you want to do.
There are also some (free) interactive tutorials available on the MathWorks web site.
Arnaud
Arnaud Miege
OK. There are also various books that can help:
http://www.mathworks.co.uk/support/books/index_by_categorytitle.html
Jason
Jason on 23 May 2011
Appreciate the prompt reply, but I think I will have to resort to self-learning for the time being. Thanks!
Arnaud Miege
Arnaud Miege
Yes.
Jason
Jason on 23 May 2011
I'm from Malaysia, by the way, I will have to pay to attend these training courses, right?
Arnaud Miege
Which country is that? There is also live training via internet, see http://www.mathworks.co.uk/services/training/elearning/.
Jason
Jason on 23 May 2011
Thank you, Arnaud! Unfortunately, my country is not listed. Anyway, I'll check out the tutorials.
Andrew Newell
Andrew Newell on 23 May 2011
Jason
Jason on 23 May 2011
Thank you for the link to the post, Andrew. I will bookmark it for my reference!
Fangjun Jiang
Fangjun Jiang on 23 May 2011
If you already have Matlab installed, type 'demo' in Matlab command window. Select 'Matlab' at the left column and you'll see three videos available for jump start. After that, type 'doc' and then find 'Matlab','Getting Started'. I taught myself Matlab this way.
Jason
Jason on 23 May 2011
Thank you, Fangjun Jiang, yes, I already have MATLAB installed. A vote for you for your input.