General
Follow

Mike Croucher

R2024a - What are you looking forward to?

Mike Croucher on 20 Mar 2024
Latest activity Reply by Mike Croucher on 11 Apr 2024

The latest release is pretty much upon us. Official annoucements will be coming soon and the eagle-eyed among you will have started to notice some things shifting around on the MathWorks website as we ready for this.
The pre-release has been available for a while. Maybe you've played with it? I have...I've even been quietly using it to write some of my latest blog posts...and I have several queued up for publication after MathWorks officially drops the release.
At the time of writing, this page points to the pre-release highlights. Prerelease Release Highlights - MATLAB & Simulink (mathworks.com)
What excites you about this release? why?
Mike Croucher
Mike Croucher on 11 Apr 2024
Mike Croucher
Mike Croucher on 10 Apr 2024 (Edited on 10 Apr 2024)
MathWorker Lorenzo Nicoletti highlights new the new Single Particle Model for Simscape Battery over at LinkedIn.
Mike Croucher
Mike Croucher on 10 Apr 2024
In my latest R2024a-related blog post, I take a look at two features that I've been waiting for for a long time. Two of my ‘White Whale’ features have been added to MATLAB R2024a » The MATLAB Blog - MATLAB & Simulink (mathworks.com)
Mike Croucher
Mike Croucher on 4 Apr 2024
My latest blog post is a deep dive to an improvement to backslash (and, therefore, mldivide) that was made in R2024a How we made a better backslash in MATLAB R2024a » The MATLAB Blog - MATLAB & Simulink (mathworks.com)
Toshiaki Takeuchi
Toshiaki Takeuchi on 27 Mar 2024
This just came out: the review of the New Desktop (the dark mode) in R2024a
Mike Croucher
Mike Croucher on 26 Mar 2024
My overview of what's new in R2024a has just been released on The MATLAB Blog MATLAB R2024a has been released: Here are my favourite updates » The MATLAB Blog - MATLAB & Simulink (mathworks.com)
Toshiaki Takeuchi
Toshiaki Takeuchi on 26 Mar 2024
Here is another hidden gem. Check out how a markdown file is display in R2023b vs. R2024a!
Toshiaki Takeuchi
Toshiaki Takeuchi on 25 Mar 2024 (Edited on 25 Mar 2024)
Toshiaki Takeuchi
Toshiaki Takeuchi on 23 Mar 2024 (Edited on 25 Mar 2024)
Created a video: Local functions anywhere in script
Royi Avital
Royi Avital on 23 Mar 2024
I appericiate you go back and invest in the regular editor.
I don't like the current MLX editor. I wish moving forward you'd just embrace Jupyter.
Generally, I'm mostly looking at the improvements in JIT and Coder. What I look for is a better way to control memory allocations.
Can I dream on MATLAB with the ability to reuse memory allocations in functions, loops and other operations?
Matt J
Matt J on 23 Mar 2024 (Edited on 23 Mar 2024)
Can I dream on MATLAB with the ability to reuse memory allocations in functions, loops and other operations?
You can already do that with handle classes, I would say, although I don't have the full picture of the scenarios you refer to.
Mike Croucher
Thanks Matt! Honestly....I want this too but users' voices are more importnat than mine ;)
Fed back to development.
Royi Avital
Royi Avital on 23 Mar 2024
You can do some tricks, yet it is not baked into the language and teh culture.
For instance, I'd like to be able to do a matrix multiplication or solving a linear system with a pre allocated memory.
It is very crucial when working on MATLAB -> MATLAB Coder -> Code projects.
Matt J
Matt J on 22 Mar 2024 (Edited on 22 Mar 2024)
I'm very excited that I just upgraded to 2023b !
Matt J
Matt J on 22 Mar 2024
...but as for R2024a, I'm glad to see the suite of pagewise matrix operations continues to expand with pagelsqminnorm and pagepinv.
Mike Croucher
Mike Croucher on 25 Mar 2024
Agreed. I use the pagewise matrix functions a lot when I am optimising other people's code.
Anything in R2023b got your attention?
Image Analyst
Image Analyst on 22 Mar 2024
2024a is not available via the Bell notification in the upper right of the title bar of R2023b. I guess I'll have to download it from the web site.
Matt J
Matt J on 22 Mar 2024 (Edited on 22 Mar 2024)
Not the first time I've said it, but I would love it if upgrading to a different release was possible via the bell icon.
Mike Croucher
Thanks for the feedback both. I've fed it back to development.
goc3
goc3 on 22 Mar 2024
The following features caught my attention:
  • Spell checking
  • Enhanced display of tables and timetables within Live Scripts, including the ability to filter and sort tables in place (and have corresponding code generated) and to view sparklines/histograms (I hope to eventually see these options in the Variable Editor)
  • Local functions can now be defined anywhere in a script or live script (not just at the end)
  • createArray - this will be very helpful for pre-allocating arrays for types such as string (which has a default value of <missing>, not "")
  • A future release will allow variables, functions, and classes to have names beyond 63 characters (I could already use this)
  • clip - a handy function to replace low and/or high values in an array, table, or timetable using one line
  • openedFiles - Get a list of identifiers for all open files to ensure they can all be closed
  • linestyleorder - An easy way to automatically apply unique styles to plotted curves
  • rgb2hex & hex2rgb - I have used functions from File Exchange for many years to do these conversions
  • ConstantLine and ConstantRegion objects can be moved to the back or front layer of a plot
  • uicolorpicker - New app component
  • uitable - Visual indication of editable categorical cells
  • Improved performance parsing datetime values
goc3
goc3 on 22 Mar 2024
The preference to maintain white space during smart indenting is finally available!! Now I can use smart indenting again and have it behave like it did many releases in the past.
s = settings;
s.matlab.editor.indent.PadEmptyLines.PersonalValue = 1;
And, I can stop the editor from removing white space when I add new lines:
s.matlab.editor.indent.RemoveAutomaticWhitespace.PersonalValue = 0;
Steven Lord
Steven Lord on 21 Mar 2024
Release R2024a is now available! I read through the Release Notes for MATLAB (since that's the product I work on and with most frequently) and there's some nice stuff among the 158 items for 24a!

See Also